Not much of the early history of this much remodelled 17th Century timber-framed residence is known. The name suggests a connection with Stratton Park, although it stands at the eastern end of the former Stratton Street. In 1838, it was occupied by John Nathaniel Foster, son of John, the Merchant, who lived at another old property, St. Andrews.
John Powers of the Milling Family took up residence by 1869.
A later owner was Edward Winch, Managing Director of Wells & Winch Limited, who moved there in 1899, when his father purchased the Brewery. He left the district in 1913, but his wife, Ruth, a former Wimbledon Tennis Champion, stayed on until her death in 1940, when the Civil Defence used the house as their war-time headquarters.
Biggleswade Urban District Council purchased the property in 1952 and used it as the Council Offices until the Local Authority reorganisation in 1974. Since then Mr. Jesus Bello has converted the house into Stratton House Hotel. The former gardens and grounds are now the site of Chestnut Avenue.