In the last quarter of the nineteenth century a need was felt among the clergy for a second church to serve the ‘Newtown’ area of Potton Road which was being developed. St John’s Church, BiggleswadeSo, the Church of St. John the Baptist was designed by Sir A.W. Bloomfield and built in 1883 at a cost of £2,985 (exclusive of the cost of the site), paid for by Archdeacon Bathurst. It was demolished in 1975. He was totally opposed to pew rents and insisted that all seats in St. John’s Church should be equally available to everyone. For their money, they got a very solid and substantial building in the Lancet style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a central turret all built of brick. The three bells could be rung by one man, using two hands and one foot, the message was; come to church., come to church. Seating was provided for 400 people, there was a stained glass window at the eastern end, a memorial to Sir Charles and Lady Talbot. Services were conducted by the Curate and there was a loyal congregation for many years.St John’s Court, Biggleswade
With the town expanding in other directions and the changing pattern of churchgoing, it was decided to close St. John’s in 1974 and it was demolished the same year. The site was redeveloped for housing and has now taken on a completely different character as St. Johns Court.